Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Westward HO Day 1

Well my friends, its about that time again...dust off the old blog and tell the story.

For those of you who dont know, I recently got a job out in Redmond, WA about 20 miles east of Seattle, and my girlfriend Iris and I are driving out west, carrying all my shit in a UHaul. You would never have guessed it, but karma has bit me in the ass* on Day 1.

Day 1:

I guess I need to preface the story by filling you in on the happy go lucky life I live in. Throughout the summer I had been looking for furniture to furnish my unfurnished apartment. Truth be told, I am not a guy who likes to spend money when money doesn't need to be spent. So naturally, as a hook would, I went on the hunt for free furniture of all sorts. Long story short I ended up getting a full sized super comfy couch, a killer love seat, coffee table, dinner table & 4 Chairs, and the best of all, a brand new king sized mattress and box spring.

So, over the wonderful 4th of july weekend I got a call from the UHaul company letting me know that they got my reservation for a truck and towing mechanism to transport all my furnishings, as well as my brand new car (2011 Black Chevy Cruze) from Clarkston, MI all the way to Redmond, WA. The start of many negative things to come was the news they gave me on the phone. I was under the impression I would be able to pick up the truck Monday so that I could fill it up Monday night and have it all ready to go by the time I left Tuesday morning. Well, they informed me that I wouldnt be able to pick it up until 11AM Tuesday at the earliest. Huge damper on the plans. But whatever, I got all my stuff packed and ready to jam in the uhaul first thin in the AM. Well I call in the answer. Now I am really thinking " O F*%K" I am never going to move out of my parents house. I show up at the UHaul dock at 11:30, and there is nobody there. Now Im really in for it.

After 2 hours of paperwork and inspecting the truck I finally pull out of the lot, but only after agreeing that I have to come back on my way out of town so that I can attach the hitch to the truck to tow my car. So I go home, and pack the car up rather quickly and head back to the dock. Morale is pretty high right now due to the fact that the truck seemed to almost pack itself! Little did I know I was in for quite a treat.

I get to the Dock and after about an hour and a half of jimmying the trailer onto the hitch, securing it to the hitch, and securing my car to the trailer, I am finally am able to depart and start my Westward Bound.

Things seem to be going well, been on the road for about 3 hours, and about that time its time for a fill up. Never realized that a 30 gallon tank could guzzle so much damn fuel! While waiting 20 mins for the thing to fill up I decided to do a quick scan of the equipment. Truck looks ok, no new dings or dents, car seems to be attached strongly to the trailer, but wait a minute, the trailer is attached to the truck crooked now! After taking a deeper look into the situation I realized that somehow the locking pins that secure the trailer had sheared off, causing the stabilizing beam to come out of true and bend and twist in ways galvanized steel should not. I realized that there were 2 major cracks in the steel, and realized that "O Shit* this POS isnt safe to drive." After 3 hours of waiting for a mechanic, and another 2 hours with him, we found out that he didnt have the tools necessary to fix the damage (No shit you didnt you dont have full welding shop in your van), and he told me I need to call someone else! Well Eff that, and here I am now, it is 1:30 AM I am in Naperville, IL a little bit steamed with the series of events that have taken place, and need some rest.

Hopefully day 2 will go much smoother!

Seacrest OUT!

*PG-13 readers please follow with gentle ears :)

No comments:

Post a Comment